GEMINI GEMS POLICY
Membership Requirements & Membership Agreement
July 2021 - June 2022
Each year, parents must read through this package, and accept the Membership Agreement. The Membership Agreement is binding for parents and gymnasts. The Membership Agreement cannot be altered without written approval from the Owner. Parents must accept the agreement as written for membership and training to begin.
Your rights under the Consumer Protection Act, 2002:
- You may cancel this agreement at any time during this period that ends (10) days after the later of the day you receive a written copy of the agreement and the day all the services are available. You do not need to give the supplier a reason for cancelling during this 10-day period.
- In addition, there are grounds that allow you to cancel this agreement. You may also have other rights, duties and remedies at law. For more information, you may contact the Ministry of Consumer and Business Services.
- To cancel this agreement, you must give notice of cancellation to the supplier, at the address set out in the agreement, by any means that allows you to prove the date on which you gave notice. If no address is set out in the agreement, use any address of the supplier that is on record with the Government of Ontario or the Government of Canada or is known by you.
- If you cancel this agreement, the supplier has fifteen (15) days to refund any payments you have made out and return to you all goods delivered under a trade-in agreement (or refund an amount equal to the trade-in allowance).
Acceptance of this Agreement:
- In all cases, fees are non-refundable after the 10 day period. A refund will be issued within the 10 day period, less classes passed and a $50 + HST cancellation fee will apply.
- A $25 + HST Admin fee will be charged for all cancellations.
- The annual G.O. insurance & registration fee of $41.00 + HST is non-refundable. Non-attendance does not constitute notice of withdrawal. Dated, written withdrawal is required.
- Fees are payable in monthly installments by either of the two methods:
- Providing a Visa or Mastercard number to Uplifter, and imprint to the Office Administration to be kept on confidential file, in order for fees to be processed automatically at the 1st of each month.
- Post-dated cheques (due before the start of the first training day), dated the 1st of each month commencing July 1st and ending June 1st. Additionally, a credit card number and imprint will also be required. If a cheque is returned NSF, the balance will be charged to the credit card on file.
- Registration and all post-dated payments are due before the start of your first class.
Parent Commitment Hours:
- Gemini Gymnastics does everything we can to create a fun atmosphere for our athletes. We like to host events for the girls that require a lot of work to put on. A couple of these include our Annual Christmas Show and Annual Recreational & Gems Showcase.
- All families are required to commit hours in order to help out (e.g. with set-up & re-set of the gym, etc.). We unfortunately cannot continue to host these events without the help of our families.
- We ask that every Gems family commits 2 shifts during the year to be completed by June 30th to help with these 2 events. $30+HST per shift missed to be billed July 1st.
- Between September and end of February: Family is required to complete 1 SHIFT that is happening between Sept and the end of February, or buyout.
- Between March 1 and June 30: Family is required to complete 2 SHIFTS, or buyout.
Examples of Shifts:
- Christmas Show in December
- Showcase in June
- Other (at discretion of the Rec Directors)
- A link will be emailed to sign-up using ‘Sign-Up Genius’
- First come first serve basis
- As a courtesy, we request that you notify us as far in advance as possible if you are unable to fulfill a particular commitment.
- There will be a Sign In and Sign Out sheet for each job at the front desk.
Buyout Program (No Parent Commitment Shifts):
- Each family has the option at the beginning of the season to opt out of all parent commitments for a Buyout Fee: $60 + HST (due before the start of training)
Scheduled Days Off:
- Your athlete is entitled to one day off for each statutory holiday regardless of whether or not the holiday falls on their training day. ALL scheduled days off are prorated into your monthly fee structure so payments do not fluctuate.
Statutory Holidays for 2021-22 Include:
- September 6, 2021 – Labour Day
- October 11, 2021– Thanksgiving
- December 25, 2021– Christmas Day
- December 26, 2021– Boxing Day
- January 1, 2022– New Year’s Day
- February 21, 2022– Family Day
- April 15, 2022 – Good Friday
- April 18, 2022, – Easter Monday
- May 23, 2022– Victoria Day
- July 1, 2022– Canada Day
- If you miss a day of training for any reason, there is no make-up class offered.
- Please inform us of any absences.
- We will not provide make-up classes or changes to schedules to accommodate other sporting schedules. It is also not possible to prorate so that you are able to come to only one of the scheduled classes..
- If a coach must cancel a class, there will be a make-up class offered.
- If you decide at any time that you wish to withdraw from the program, written notice to the Recreational Director (firstname.lastname@example.org) must be provided 30 days prior to withdrawal. After the 1st of the month, training fees are not refundable. The return of the remaining post-dated cheques is provided only after outstanding bills are paid in full. In any case, the annual G.O. insurance & registration fee of $36 + HST is non-refundable. Non-attendance does not constitute notice of withdrawal.
Training Schedule Changes:
- Any training schedule changes will be e-mailed with as much advance notice as possible. If you have not received an email for a particular training day, regular training times are in effect.
Media and Public Relations:
- Throughout the year Gemini receives media coverage from local newspapers and television stations, and our website is updated regularly to reflect meet results and Gemini news. This media and internet coverage includes information/results and photographs of our Club, gymnasts and coaches.
- This is a very important part of enhancing the image of Gemini in our community, which in turn benefits our members, the Club and our sponsors.
- As part of your membership, all members must permit Gemini Gymnastics to use their child’s name and/or photograph for media, publicity and corporate sponsorship publications, marketing events/tools and information.
- Consideration only under special circumstances to not include a Gemini member in any of the above media/publicity or corporate sponsorship mediums/events will require the approval of the Owner through request in writing.
Waiting Room Policy:
- There should be no watching your athlete while in training. It is hard to measure progress when you are too close to it! For safety reasons, do not communicate with your daughter through the window. It is distracting for the gymnasts and also the coaches. Excessive viewing can negatively affect the gymnast’s progress, and/or performance, and her safety.
Change Rooms: CURRENTLY CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19
- No personal medication is to be left in the change room.
- No shoes or boots are permitted in the change rooms.
- Clothing must be kept in gym bags or hung on the hooks provided.
- Absolutely no food or drinks are allowed in the change room.
- Gymnasts are not permitted in the change room during training.
- Items left in the change room are not the responsibility of Gemini Gymnastics.
- Do not bring any jewellery, money, or other valuables to the gym.
- The first two change rooms are for recreational/Gems athletes and are family friendly.
Head Lice Policy:
- Your daughter’s hair must be tied back at all times.
- Lice do not like hair products so it is beneficial to use gel or hairspray or tea tree oil.
- Check your daughter’s hair often for any signs of nits, etc.
- If your child has lice or nits, do not send her to the gym.
- If your daughter has lice, her head must be treated and all nits must be removed before returning to gym.
- Please remember, when a child has lice, it is in no way indicative of her home environment. Lice are inconvenient pests and anyone can get lice.
- For more information, please contact the Durham Region Health Department.
- Gymnasts must have all plantar’s warts covered with tape, and be seeking treatment. For more information, please contact the Durham Region Health Department.
Other Policies and Helpful Hints
Parking Lot/Driving Policy
- Parking is available in the south lot. There is additional parking available in the lot west of our facility (across the road). Please do not park anywhere but in the designated parking spots. Do not park along the curb or along the fence. During peak times, the parking lot is crowded; please follow the direction of the one-way signs coming into the facility and drive slowly and carefully.
Smoking on Gemini Property Policy
- Due to law regulations as well as complaints from our athletes and coaches about the smell reaching into the building, no smoking is permitted on the property, in your vehicle, or standing outside. If you must smoke, please move to the road and dispose of your cigarette butts correctly (they do not biodegrade – please do not litter).
Lost and Found
- The change room will be cleaned nightly. Items of clothing left behind are not the responsibility of Gemini Gymnastics, and will be placed in the “Lost & Found”. Please ask at the front office to check the “Lost & Found” regularly. It will be emptied monthly and all articles given to charity.
Drop Off and Pick Up: Expectations during COVID-19
- At this time we are asking parents NOT to enter the facility to reduce overall traffic. We have a drop off station set up outside where the coaches will pick the athletes up. Athletes will sanitize their hands and have their temperatures checked at the door
- Before bringing your child to the gym, we ask that you complete a Self-assessment of your athlete. Ensuring to take temperature and check for signs and symptoms of COVID-19. Do NOT send your child if you or someone in your household is experiencing signs and symptoms of COVID-19
- When entering and exiting the gym, athletes MUST wear a face mask.
- Please do not arrive more than 5 minutes before class
- Athletes will be dismissed from training one at a time through the emergency door at the side of the building. Please be ready and wait in the parking lot about 5 minutes before the end of class. Please pick up your child on time; there will be a charge of $10 for each 15 minutes past the class end time.
- We are also asking that you send your athlete in clothing ready to do gymnastics.
- Athletes should bring a small bag in with them with things they will need such as: personal hand sanitizer, water bottle, personal hygiene items, bands-aids, and non-slip socks.
- Social distancing will be maintained at all times.
- The equipment will be cleaned after each group use following guidelines given by the Government of Ontario and Gymnastics Ontario
Parent’s Guide for a Gymnast in the Gems Program
It is the responsibility of the Head Coach, in consultation with the rest of the coaching staff, to assess each child based on her individual development, desire, skill level, and talent. Gymnasts can be moved from one program to another at any time during the year however, most movements occur in January, July, and September.
Communication is Key
- In order to ensure that your child’s experience at Gemini is a positive one, parents, athletes, and coaches must all work together. A key element to this is making sure that we have an open line of communication at all times. In order to facilitate understanding and open communication, parents are encouraged to bring matters (that could potentially affect their child’s training) to the attention of their Coach/Rec Director.
Here are some guidelines to assist you and your daughter’s fulfillment in the Gems Program:
- Do not compare your child with others. It is very important to focus on your own child and to not compare her to others. Every child progresses in her own way and at her own pace. Although a change of group may be appropriate for one child or situation, it may not be suitable in every case. Our coaches are experts at working with many individual abilities and personalities and make decisions only in the best interest of each gymnast. A gymnast’s achievements are as important to her coaches as they are to the gymnast and her parents.
- Remain positive at all times. Trust is a huge part of the working relationship between a coach and a child; if it is not there, your child will not progress. For example, criticizing the coach in front of a child only leads to doubt. If a child doubts her parent’s support of the coach, she will do the same. If you have questions about your daughter’s coach, make an appointment to speak with the coach, or Rec Director.
- Progress is not measured on skill alone. In the sport of gymnastics a child can progress in a number of ways not always visible to the parent. Strength, flexibility, form, body awareness, coachability, attitude, age, maturity, and gymnast commitment are just a few important factors (in addition to skill development) that can determine a gymnast’s progress or placement. Since our coaches work many hours with our children, only they are familiar with each child’s ability as a gymnast and are best qualified to assess their potential based on her individual development, desire, skill level, and talent. Our head coach together with her staff decides when a gymnast is ready to be moved and in which group she is to be placed.
- Be patient. Children learn on their time, not ours. Please support your child, but leave the coaching to the coaches.
- Do not vent in the lobby areas. Believe it or not, most negative talk follows our children into the gym. It is passed to other children and to their coaches creating a tense and upsetting environment for all. Complaints and frustrations are firstly to be directed to the coach or Rec Director. If it is an issue with the club, then questions should first be directed to the Rec Director who may refer you to the Owner. Please respect this policy, as it is most important in fostering a positive learning environment. The coaches cannot fix issues with your daughter if they are not made aware of it, and the Owner/ Rec Director cannot address issues with the club if they are not made aware of it.
- Do not interrupt the coaches. The gym is off limits to all parents. Coaches and gymnasts are not to be interrupted during class, or between classes. If it is urgent, ask a staff member to contact your daughter’s coach. If your daughter will be more than 10 minutes late, a phone-call is courteous
- Stay informed. At Gemini, we offer many resources to our members to help them stay informed and to learn about Gymnastics at Gemini. You can also check for updates on our Facebook page: Gemini Gymnastics, our Twitter page: @geminigymnastics, or our Instagram page: gemini_gym. The Rec Directors are quite willing to answer any questions or seek out information on your behalf.
- Get involved. Gemini is always looking for new volunteers and fresh ideas. So, if you think you can help, please do! This is a way for the Gems families to become more involved and also see how hard the competitive families work to keep these programs fun! Please speak with the Rec Director about other ways you can help. Your support is very important to us.
PARENT/GUARDIAN CONSENT OF PARTICIPATION AND WAIVER
By submitting and signing this form, I acknowledge that I am aware that there are risks with gymnastics. I warrant that the participant named on this information form, is physically fit to participate in gymnastics. I acknowledge that there is potential risk for injury involved in any sport. I understand that Gemini Gymnastics and Gymnastics Ontario have tried to create a safe and controlled environment for participation and that the club established rules for participation must be followed by the participant at all times. By submitting and signing this form, I grant permission to Gemini Gymnastics to photograph and/or record my child’s image and/or voice on still or motion picture film and/or audio tape, and to use this material to promote Gemini Gymnastics through the media of newsletters, websites, television, film, radio, print and/or display form. I waive any claim to remuneration for use of audio/visual materials used for these purposes.
By signing this agreement I hereby declare that:
- My family has thoroughly read this Membership Agreement/Parent Orientation/Information Package.
- I will ensure that all information on the Athlete Profile will remain accurate. If there is any change to my personal information I will inform the Recreational Director immediately to update the information.
- I understand and will instruct my child that she must wait inside the facility to be picked up at the end of class and if I am late she should report to her coach/ a staff member immediately. Her coach will make the necessary phone calls using the numbers on the Parent Profile if a parent is more than 10 minutes late.
- If my child needs to leave early, I will inform the coach ahead of time in order to provide as little disruption to class as possible.
- I understand and agree to adhere to the all Policies outlined in this Agreement.
- I understand that in any case, fees are not refundable if past the 10 day period from the time services are available. A refund will be issued within the 10 day period, less classes passed and a $25 + HST cancellation fee will apply. Dated, written withdrawal is required. Non-attendance does not constitute notice of withdrawal.
- I understand that in any case, the annual G.O insurance & registration fee of $36.00 + HST is non-refundable. (Due July 1st of each year).
- I understand and agree that if my daughter withdraws between Sept to the end of Feb, I must fulfill all of my Parent Commitment Duties until the end of Feb.
- I understand and agree that if my daughter withdraws between Mar 1 and Aug 31 that I must fulfill all of my Parent Commitment Duties for the full season or pay out.
- I acknowledge that I have Parent Commitment Shifts to complete by June 30 (Gems = 2 billable shifts at $30/shift + HST). I understand that $30+HST per shift not completed will be charged to my account.
- I acknowledge that in order for my child to begin training in the Gems Program as of September 1, I must provide all cheques required or become a Visa or MasterCard member as well as all required forms. My credit card must have an imprint on file as well as the CSV.
- I understand that there is a $25 + HST administrative fee for NSF cheques.
- I understand that I may be called to pick my child up if she is ill, has misbehaved, or due to inclement weather.
- I understand that if my child is not picked up on time a late fee of $10 + HST will be charged.
- I understand that if my account is in arrears after 5 days it will result in suspension of the athlete from training.
- I understand that my child’s photograph, biographical and other information may be used by Gemini Gymnastics.
- I understand that I must provide Gemini with a 30 day written withdrawal notice to email@example.com. Only after the 30 days from the withdrawal notice, my payments will be cancelled. (Non-attendance does not constitute notice of withdrawal).
- I understand that the summer schedule changes and the hours may change; therefore, my fees will be adjusted accordingly.
- I understand that make-up classes are not available due to coach/athlete class ratios. Missing classes could mean missing important lessons/injury prevention information.
- I understand if I withdraw my child anytime during the year, the full commitment hours are still due by the Buyout option only.
We have read the contents of this Membership Agreement. We agree that failure to meet all of these requirements, and those stipulated in the Club’s Constitution & By-Laws will forfeit our Membership with Gemini Gymnastics.